December 19, 2011

Showing The Love For: TLC's "Virgin Diaries" and "Geek Love".

Enter : the first of my (totally biased and purely-as-observed )TV Show Review: It's another opinion...and you know, everyone's got one....

So there are tumbleweeds practically blasting through Fall TV programming right now. The re-runs of the re-ran shows are choking the airwaves, becoming powerful enough to confuse my DVR (which recorded a re-run despite being programmed not to! **gasp! **). But amidst the hush and lassitude...there is.....tatadadaaaa! TLC to the rescue!

Home to such heartwarming perennial favorites like: A Baby Story, Bringing Home Baby, and evenCake Boss, TLC seems to have suffered a wildly fascinating bout of N.M.C: "Network Midlife Crisis"!
While I know I am not the only one who may have noticed the ear piercing screech of the left field gear shift, I also know I am not the only one who may have needed a hand to hold after watching the first offering's of the Network's two latest gems, "The Virgin Diaries and, Sunday’s (December 18) debut of: "Geek Love".
 The Virgin Diaries:
I know, I know.....everyone thinks that the people featured on this show are like, totally mal-adjusted social reject outcasts who really should seek therapy instead of reality TV show notoriety and fame (which I am quite certain they haven't quite achieved...yet....really!).
But honestly?
I thought it (the concept of the show, AND the cast themselves) were rather....refreshing!
I mean, if I truly need to hit the re-set button in my mind, I am more than glad to pick up a book and read (do that a lot really!), but this Docu-drama was a wonderful change of pace from the "norm". After my uncomfortable squirming (um...they were rather odd people, sorry: see "The Kiss", after the couple weds, "their first kiss EVER, as a couple and clearly, ever...I mean, like, ever. Never on their hands...never with a friend....never with a toy...never with a boy...man, obviously never... but I digress) I was left with a feel-good buzz!
I was happy for them! Seriously!
Not really a spoiler here, as the debut show has already aired, but much of the cast remains virgins... (And duly so!), and the newly married couple....well? They...."did the deed!"
It was a TLC Special, but the network is presently holding castings, and despite a probable shortage of age 18+, virginal candidates who may be willing to go on TV and publicly document their sojourn's beyond their "maidenhead voyages", I do foresee a growing interest in TLC's newest way of celebrating: "firsts".
 Geek Love:
It’s like every Jeni's Ice cream flavor.
Like...beer perhaps.
Like frog legs, fried frog legs.
Or for those of you that haven't, it’s possibly akin to driving in Europe (or everywhere else in the world for that matter), in a European model car.
You sort of have to just do it once, try it to decide whether or not you LIKE it! And then, you may find you do so love love love it....and you may feel weird if you don't. Or not....
It’s just like that! Exactly like that! Watching this show, that is!
This has got to be the quirkiest (read: weirder than your weirdest high school friend if you weren't actually super weird yourself, sorta weird), most perplexing (read: how? did? these? people? GET? this way?) grouping of characters....ever.
The TLC Premiere of Geek Love focused on a set of young people who are self-proclaimed (and....by MOST other standards) "nerds", and their valiant pursuit of happiness in the dating world, through a speed dating event, offered at New York's, Comic Con.
It’s all a matter of perception here, and I am not yet sure if this one will be a ratings winner with TLC viewers, (but who am I...really?)
But seriously? If they are fickle, easily entertained, Cheerers-on of general humanity as I am? Well....there may be an audience just yet!

**Disclaimer: I have personally NEVER been to a Comic Con event, anywhere, and thus my written opinion may most likely be due to my un-travelled ignorance, as Comic-Con may very well be Mecca for numerous individuals who aren't actually nerds at all. And personally, the word nerd is in no way shape or form, derogatory in MY mind, as intelligent individuals, eccentric individuals, odd-balls and the like, are all simply----people.
PS: TV's lead actor from "Chuck", Zachary Levi was prominently AT Comic-Con, and I do so luuuuuurve him (sorry loving, beautiful husband of mine, but really...I do!)**

Mmmmm...all that being said, I guess I will waive my nerd flag high, and wait with baited breath for the new season of MY guilty pleasure programs like, ABC's" The Bachelor", MTV's: "Teen Wolf" and ....ok, who am I kidding? The list is long, and the DVR, will be busy!

************************************************************************
Thanks For Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment